San Francisco Beer Week is here. Across the Bay Area taps
are spewing the modern day versions of frankincense and myrrh; stuff so
precious that you ordinarily can’t get
it. Nope, not even on the interweb. Not at that trendy bar with skinny
bartenders in suspenders. Not even in beer trades with people on the other side
of the country, most of the time. Thanks to Amazon and Netflix, we’ve lost
touch with what it feels like to not be able to get whatever we want, whenever
we want it. We become insane with lust for anything unattainable, so Pliny the
Younger and Dogfish Head 120 bring ALL the lumbersexuals to the yard during
Beer Week.
Beer Week’s a nightmare for anyone with FOMO (Fear of
Missing Out). There are 600 events over
10 days. Even if you quit your job and damn your liver… you’ll still miss out. So
you have to choose: What wondrous events are too sweet to miss? Not to state
the obvious, but this 7 course Szechwan Dim Sum and Belgian Beer pairing at
Mama Ji’s was not an event I was willing to just hear about from friends after
it happened.
 |
| Dim Sum in the Gayborhood? That has a 15-line beer sonnet on their menu? Oh yeah, this is livin' the DREAM, people. |
 |
| What we done came for. |
 |
| Best pairing of the night - seafood shumai with the Lucifer Golden Ale. For this, I would storm the Emperor's castle wearing nothing but granny panties. |
 |
| Turnip cake. With sausage and beer. As god intended. |
 |
| Hard to remember the last time I saw three different types of beer glasses at a Chinese restaurant. Oh yeah wait, it was NEVER. |
 |
| Pork Buns and Vegetarian Buns. Vegetarians... thanks for making this a world that has fewer pork buns in it. I hope you're happy. |
 |
| Oh good lord, I'm so full, I couldn't possibly.... |
 |
| Well OK, fine, maybe just one. |
 |
| Lady, stop bringing food out here. Are you trying to kill us? Pack this up to go please, for the love of all that's holy. Wait, wait! ...leave that beer though. |
 |
| Usually when I eat this much I get my picture on the wall, or a free t-shirt, or something. So... just sayin. No? Well screw you - pack this stuff up too then. |
No comments:
Post a Comment