Americans
love pickup trucks. We love
liberty. We love Coca-Cola and bikinis
and cherry lip gloss and handguns. And
Americans love… Buddha. Think about it
– we do! We f-ing LOOOOVE Buddha. Or more like buddha, with a small “b”. Put him on yoga mats, stickers, t-shirts,
little garden fountains, hipster tchotchkes of any shape or size – we gobble
them up. Now, some brilliant person has
put Buddha together with the thing that Americans love most of all: BEER.
Where do
they sell this earthly delight? At
Target. I know, it just gets better and
better, right? Strolling through the
familiar, well-lit aisles, I glanced to my right and saw these little beauties
staring back at me:
This is a
clear indication that we view eastern religions with a certain
irreverence. Have you ever seen “Jesus
Beer” in the supermarket? I think
not. There are loose, internet-specific threads
connecting the son of God with brewskies (like this little gem):
…but this
idea is not ready for the mainstream.
When it comes to Siddhartha, on the other hand, we’ll put it right out
there. Target is such a squeaky clean
company that it may as well be Disney. So
my take-away is that Isaac Mizrahi, Target, and Disney all think Buddha is a
big fat joke. And that everyone else out
there is OK with that.
Yet I say
thank you – thank you Mr. Mizrahi.
Because this bottle is more than adorable enough to justify drinking the
mediocre adult beverage contained within.
Mmmmm… beer and religion in one affordable 6-pack.
No comments:
Post a Comment